Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Love America, Too

photos fair use from wiki


Ruby Bridges desegregating Atlanta schools.
The fllowing headlines were quoted from a Libertarian blog, birdman.org

"... joy in Mr. Obama’s victory is shared by whites all around the world.

“We have great hopes that we are standing at the dawn of a new era,” wrote the Norwegian daily Aftenposten.

“One Giant Step for Mankind” read the front page of England’s Sun newspaper.

A headline on the London Telegraph website declared: “Barack Obama Victory Allows Britain to Love US Again.”

The Times modestly headlined its election story, “The New World.”

Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada spoke of Mr. Obama’s “tremendous, historic” victory, and the Toronto Sun called it “an historic milestone like no other.”
Le Monde in Paris noted that “from Left to Right, [French] politicians have been competing for superlatives with which to praise the election of Barack Obama.”

Milan’s Corriere della Sera wrote that Mr. Obama was “the man who can save America from utter breakdown.”

[end of quote]

Without the hysterical edge, I love America, too, for electing our first African-American president. This is who I am. I went to an elite suburban highschool, New Trier in Winnetka, back in the 60's. We had one, yes, ONE black student. Shy introvert that I was, I made a point of sitting with her because, believe it or not, no one else would. I took flak for it, too, from my own mother.

I am proud as proud to be an American because electing an A-A president means we have always meant what we said, do the right things, no matter who you are, and the door is open.
Many misplace the glory onto Obama as a Messiah. Maybe he'll do great things. Who knows? But this is for sure. WE did the great thing by electing him. That's what I really think this is all about.
I'm open minded about what he can actually achieve.
And you know what? Everyone mentions Martin Luther King, Jr. and Abe Liincoln but I think of LYNDON JOHNSON for whom it was not an easy thing to do.

No comments: